Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Uruguay

Before we get to the Argentina pictures here are the pics from our Uruguay trip. We took the midnight boat-bus ride from Buenos Aires to Montevideo, and spent the day with one of my old mission companions, his wife, and their daughter, while touring the city.

The deck of the Eladia Isabel with the Buenos Aires skyline in the back.

On board the Eladia Isabel at 12:00 AM.

It was a 3-hour boat ride from Buenos Aires to Colonia, Uruguay. When we got on board we were hoping to find a row of seats to ourselves so we could sleep, but had no luck. Most of the seats were already taken and we tried to get comfortable enough to sleep on one seat each, but to no avail (just like on an airplane). We checked around the boat for any empty nooks or crannies, but everything was taken. Finally, in the stern of the ship we found a large room with a glass door. Through the glass we could see that the lights were out and the room was completely empty. It would be the perfect place to sleep. The only problem was that the door was shut (but not locked) and there was a sign that read "Prohibido Pasar" (Forbidden to Pass). In addition, we could see that the crew occasionally walked through the room to check it and there were security cameras pointed directly at the entrance.

How were we going to get in? As the time went on and we continued to try and build up the resolve to make a mad dash into the room we became more desperate. The boat ride was just about halfway over when Ali finally decided to take the chance and go in. If she got caught she would play the "dumb American" that doesn't understand Spanish. I would wait 10 minutes, and if she hadn't been caught, would join her. After about 5 minutes of waiting I decided to go in. I made sure the crew wasn't looking and then ducked into the room as fast as possible. Once inside, I immediately moved to the shadows and then crawled around the room until I found Ali. Success! We both had an entire row of seats to ourselves! After the first few minutes of anxiety wore off, we realized that even if they did come into the room to check up on it, it was so dark that it would be difficult for them to see us. Five minutes after that...we fell asleep for the rest of the boat ride. After the boat ride came the not-so-nearly as comfortable 2.5 hour bus ride, and finally we made it to Montevideo around 6 AM.

After we were finally able to get money from the ATM, we took a taxi to my old mission companion's house (Martin Parodi).

At the Parodis' house. Martin let us take a 2-hour nap on their bed, while we waited for his wife, Camilla, to finish school. After that we were ready to tour the city.


The obligatory cross in the middle of the city (I don't think you're considered a legitimate city in South America if you don't have one).

Museum


Random sculpture. The little girl here is Josefina, Martin and Camilla's daughter. She fell in love with Ali and wanted to be with her the entire day, and wanted to be in every picture with her that she possibly could (as you will see). She also spent the day calling out, "Alisia, Alisia!" I think it became her favorite word of the day.


Driving along the coast...



The Uruguay Montevideo temple...






El Palacio Legislativo (The Legislative Palace i.e. the Capitol Building). As part of the city tour, the Parodis took us to the Legislative Palace, where all of Uruguay's laws are made. The building was beautiful and very ornate, inside and out (you can see Josefina in the background).




Josefina following Ali up the steps.




Alisia and Josefina doing some weird one-footed balancing move...I'm blaming it on the 3 hours of sleep we got.



Inside the Palace: this stain glass window is at the center of the building, similar to our dome in the Capitol Building.


Salon de los Pasos Perdidos (the main room): To my left you can see the honor guard standing at attention next to Uruguay's Constitution.


Another room: more guards standing at attention next to some of Uruguay's first laws.

The Reception room.


Art on the outside walls of the Palace (never seen that before).


Senate Chambers...




The National Library...





The Deputies Chamber...in session (they were questioning the Health Minister on his response to the Swine flu). I'm not sure we were supposed to be taking pictures while they were in session, but no one kicked us out...



Random Cathedral


You can see the Legislative Palace at the end of the road here.


Monument and tomb of Artigas (liberator of Uruguay).



I'm riding Artigas' pony while Ali is jumping for joy (as usual).



Uruguayan Executive Building...



Teatro Solis: The most highly respected theatre in Uruguay.

The entrance to Ciudad Vieja (Old City). This entryway is all that is left of the old Montevideo fort.

There were all types of street vendors in Old City.




After our long day of touring Montevideo we came home and had a good old fashioned Asado with steak, ribs, chorizo (Argentine/Uruguay style sausage), potato salad, and tomatoes. Martin showed us his BBQing skills. After dinner we headed back to the bus stop and back to Argentina. On the way back, our secret room was already open. We quickly found two empty rows and fell asleep immediately. It had been a long day!

9 comments:

Holly said...

Oh my, I am SOOO JEALOUS!! I want to go to Uruguay so bad!! My husband was born and raised there and will be soooo jealous/excited when I show him this post! How fun:)

Artsy Aut said...

Those pictures are great! I have always wanted to go there! Not only was my fifth grade country report on Uruguay, but that is where Brad served his mission! You guys will have to talk!

Lex said...

I'm excited for Argentina pictures and Stories!!! P.s. I have those boots, got them for $5 at Savers ;)

Kristin said...

Uruguay looks awesome and worth the quick trip. Was it so fun to be down there for so long and be able to speak Spanish to each other and everyone around you? You fit right in...I bet you loved that! I'm glad you guys got to go there together!

Marinda said...

So beautiful! Sounds like a fantastic trip!

The Bengtzen Family said...

Hey Ali, it's Jayne from Upsilon. I came across your blog through Maren's! Looks like you guys are livin it up and enjoying life! I have a blog as well...
bengtzenfamily.blogspot.com

Webb Crew said...

Sounds like an amazing trip. Glas you had a good time. I bet it was great to go back and see many people you loved.

Allison and Noah Riley said...

Hey Ali! I'm so looking forward to meeting you this weekend! I hope you, your mom and Ash will feel right at home in our little apartment. It's kind of a face only a mother could love from the outside and it's "cozy" (to make small sound more quaint!) but we're excited to have you here. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions before you get here - 917.499.4013

Best,
Allison

Hale-O There said...

Linc
You're pictures and adventures are really cool, I ended up looking through a lot of your posts. Glad you're having so much fun.