Monday, July 12, 2010

The Pryamids

We spent a full day in Egypt just seeing all the pyramids. It was an exhausting, yet astounding experience. There are over 100 pyramids that have been discovered in Egypt. Most were built as tombs for the country's Pharaohs and their consorts during the Old and Middle Kingdom periods.

We started our day by driving away from Cairo, and over the Nile.
DSC_0485

DSC_0488
Then off to the sights.
DSC_0489
We got to climb up and actually go inside this pyramid. Although, we we were not quite prepared for the STRONG SMELL. The whole time I kept thinking it smelled like hair dye. I finally nailed that it was ammonia. We both felt a little sick after being in there for a while. It was damp, humid, and smelly.
DSC_0494 DSC_0492

DSC_0499

DSC_0495 DSC_0491

DSC_0501

DSC_0500 DSC_0502

DSC_0505
But on top, there was a beautiful view!
DSC_0504 DSC_0506

DSC_0508

DSC_0509 DSC_0519
The earliest known Egyptian pyramids are found at Saqqara, northwest of Memphis
DSC_0521

DSC_0520
Pyramid of Djoser
DSC_0516 DSC_0512

DSC_0513
DSC_0514 DSC_0517
And of course, our last stop of the day was to the most famous Egyptian pyramids found at Giza, on the outskirts of Cairo.
DSC_0560
This complex of ancient monuments includes the three pyramids known as the Great Pyramids, along with the massive sculpture known as the Great Sphinx.
DSC_0528
It was massive, and all I could think of was Space Balls.
DSC_0563
DSC_0534
Lincoln wanted to say that he actually touched the great pyramid. So I documented it with the photo.

DSC_0553

DSC_0556 DSC_0548

DSC_0544 DSC_0546

(Not pictured are all of the hundreds of people that day who tried to sell/offer services/or scam us into giving them money in one way or another... but we will just selectively choose to remember the picturesque beauty and not the frustrating blunders...)

DSC_0532

DSC_0529 DSC_0533

The wind, and the sand... you can just see that sand a blowin!

DSC_0526

The Great Pyramid of Giza is the only remaining monument of Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. At the time of their construction and for many years after, the Pyramids of Giza were the tallest structures on the planet. We were glad we had the opportunity to see them. Totally worth all the sand in our eyes, hair, mouth, and nose.
DSC_0537

4 comments:

Barb said...

I can't believe you got to go inside a pyramid! That is so cool!

Brooke S. said...

Oh, I love Cairo. Looks like you guys had a blast!

Sharri Morley said...

Amazing pictures! Didn't realize the sphinx was the last remaining of the ancient wonders...talk about being built to last;)

Tara and Ricky said...

Seriously??? That looks like it was amazing! I seriously giggled to myself when you mentioned Spaceballs because that is exactly what I would have thought:) Totally jealous you guys! Looks like so much fun!