Monday, September 20, 2010

Real Life


Sometimes blogs show a distorted view of reality.

While we were visiting Utah this past week, many of our friends and relatives mentioned how they read our blog and that we have an exciting life and are always going on vacation! The funny thing is that the only two exciting things we did this summer were actually the only things we posted about on our blog in the last 4 months. The truth is, most of our life is filled with this:

Nah, that's not true. The truth is that Lincoln and I spend 80% of our waking life doing this:

And lets be honest, you can't always put up pretty pictures about work. Well, unless I blog about this all day:


Which is pretty boring for most...(besides me, I love this stuff). So yes, we blog about the highlights in our life. Many of us do. Lincoln and I have been too busy working to blog more lately.
While there have been times where I have felt like I am waiting for "my real life" to begin and the chance to become a mother someday, I realize that there are somethings not in our control. Until then, this is my real life! And we are both thrilled to be working in the fields that we are passionate about. I love politics. I love working on the hill. And I love doing Pilates on the side and getting paid for my hobby. Lincoln loves being a Patent Attorney, and when he is not doing that, he stays busy working on his other church responsibilities. Life is great, even when we work a lot and don't have amazing pictures to post about on our blog. We are happy and feel lucky to be together in DC.







8 comments:

Natster said...

I was thinking about you today. You must read minds because then voila, you posted. :)
I love that you love what you are doing. That is just great. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. And.. when you do become a mother, you will be awesome. At least that is what I think. Have the best day ever!
Take care,
♥/Nat

Barb said...

What a great attitude to have about life!

Melissa said...

ooo, love this post. I knew I liked you and that you have this awesome way of making me feel normal. Yay for lots of nothing and work! :) I should probably make a post of diapers, dishes, laundry, a computer, and a big nasty sleep deficit. Real life in the Smith home. Livin' it up baby!

Erin said...

I have noticed you haven't posted as much lately. I'm so glad it's because you are busy with work that you love. We are hoping to head up to DC within the next few weeks so hopefully we can get-together!

Daniel Ricks said...

Amen. Blogs definitely make life seem a lot more glamorous than it really is. But glad you guys are doing well--truth is, you really are living the dream in DC. Hope you continue to love your jobs!

Janny said...

That's a fabulous picture of you!

w and w said...

Oh how we miss you. Another visit will definitely have to happen. Anyhow, what a great couple you two are. We love you both and way to live a great life in DC. can't get enough of that place.

Unknown said...

ha ha I used to think that all the time about you guys. You are always traveling and doing marvelous things :) I guess it's totally different from an inside perspective. Hope all is well! I am glad that I can catch up on your life through your blog.