A couple of weeks ago my mom told me that at church her Relief Society teacher said, "If suffering is part of everyone's life, then why do we take it so personally?" I thought about that for a while. Everyone has their thing. Everyone goes through crap at some point in their life. Yes, some have it worse than others and yes, some handle it better than others. But if there is one thing I have learned through my dad's death it is that life is not fair to anyone. And there is no point taking your specific trials personally by thinking that God is treating you differently than "so and so."
Little did I know that I would soon have an opportunity to apply that little piece of advice. In July I found out I was pregnant. It was a happy surprise. (It was a planned surprise, we just thought it would take longer to get pregnant like it did with Eva.) Then I quickly did the math and found out that the baby would be due on my dad's death date: March 30th. I was really excited to grow our little family of three, and the thought of the joy that a new baby brings a year after my heart was broken in a million pieces felt like such a beautiful gift from God. After all, that baby would have just spent time with my dad in heaven, and it would be the closest physical connection I could have with my dad. I knew that the timing was not just a coincident.
(Eva and I going out to lunch after getting my blood drawn. We had a fun time and she really cheered me up.)
And then a couple weeks later I woke up from painful cramping. It went away after a little bit, and having a miscarriage never even crossed my mind. Later that afternoon I was doing the dishes when the cramping came again. I doubled over in pain. This time the cramping came with lots of blood. And I knew I had miscarried.
I wasn't too sad about losing the pregnancy. If anything it just made me more grateful for the baby I do have. I knew that miscarriages happen in 25% of pregnancies. It was bound to happen at some point in my life. But the coincidence of the due date being the same as my dad's death date did hurt. That night in my prayers all I could say was, "Really? Why the coincidence if I was just going to lose the baby? I don't understand. " I felt like I was slapped in the face.
Then a couple days later I started to feel super sick. Like pregnancy sick. Like wanting to throw up all day sick. I called the doctor and the results from my blood test showed that my levels were pretty high. So she had me go in and get a sonogram.
During the sonogram the technician showed me on the screen where there was a little baby with a strong heartbeat, then she moved it over and showed me another sack with no baby in it, just remnants at the bottom of the sack. She then said, "Looks like you were pregnant with twins, but you miscarried one of them."
I immediately thought, "What the heck? What a rollercoaster! Seriously." I knew I miscarried. I had come to terms with a miscarriage. And then come to find out that I was still pregnant, but that I had actually been pregnant with twins! I felt bad that I had taken the miscarriage so personally and questioned God and his timing. But overall I felt a sense of comfort that I was actually still pregnant, with a baby that she told me was now due on April Fools Day. Which was very fitting for this little guy, "Surprise your pregnant! Just kidding you miscarried. Just kidding you are still pregnant!"
32 comments:
This is a really beautiful post:)
What a roller coaster indeed. Congratulations on growing your family and adding that little piece of heaven. It does seem so fitting to have an April Fools baby after your years of April Fools jokes.
Such a sweet post. Congratulations Ali!
Oh Ali. Congratulations and my condolences. I admire the way you handle your challenges, you are an amazing woman. It is good that you feel, even if that means taking things personally. It would be more sad if you were calloused and not affected by your challenges. As much as we hate them, each trial makes us stronger. Sure love you.
OMG Ali that's so exciting and crazy. Loved reading this, thanks for sharing :)
Wow! I'm sorry to hear you lost one baby but rejoice that you have another still coming. God's ways certainly are mysterious but also awesome. Congratulations!
So crazy! Congrats!! So happy you guys can grow your cute little family :)
Congrats! Roller coaster, indeed. The exact same thing happened to my sister-in-law. I'm so glad that you are still pregnant!
Congrats! I am so excited for you! I had a similar experience with one of my pregnancies. Crazy! Hope all is well. Loves and hugs!
Ah! Congrats on the baby to come Ali - this is wonderful news! You have certainly had the good and bad in recent months. Such a great example of how to embrace life.
Sorry, this is Sarah M., accidentally logged in as Paul's sister Jean:)
Congratulations! Won't it be interesting to look back on our life later and have all the answers as to why things turned out the way they did? :)
Holy... I'm speechless. I just love you.
Congratulations!
We were diagnosed with a miscarriage with Scarlett and mourned for a few days before finding out we were still pregnant so I know a little about how weird the emotions are. Crazy, that you would have had twins though!
Wow! That is one roller coaster. You have such an amazing outlook on life. I really look up to you. Sorry about the miscarriage, that is really hard.
CONGRATS on the upcoming baby! So happy for you!
Oh Ali, I love you! What a story! You are one amazing woman!
Awesome story... and a big CONGRATULATIONS!
Congratulations Ali! What a story!
Wow! What a roller coaster. Congratulations on being pregnant! Love you Ali!
So many ups and downs in this post! Thank you for sharing and congratulations. beautifully written.
Wow. Wow. Wow. It was an emotional roller coaster just reading about it. But a huge congrats to one of my favorite families!
Congrats Ali! And of course you would have an April 1 baby with all of your jokes in years past... ;)
I am very happy for you guys. I think a miscarriage is a very hard thing even though it happens often I know it was hard for me. Thank goodness for tender mercies. Oh and with all of the pregnant April fool jokes this is just great.
Wow that is a crazy story. I admire that you take everything in stride, and love your positive outlook on things. Congratulations on another little addition to your family!
Congrats! I am sorry for the lose of the other baby too. I am trying to get pregnant and I isn't happening like I planned I wanted an April baby.
What an incredible journey! Wow. I'm so happy that you are having a new little angel coming into your family. He or she will surely be a special reminder of your dear dad- they are probably hanging out right now!
can't wait to meet that little miracle baby!
Oh my goodness Ali! I am so sorry for the loss of one of your babies:( So glad you still have a healthy little one growing inside of you. You are truly amazing!
CRAZY! Well, congrats! We love to talk about our little ones waiting to come to our family (and also the one we lost) having a BLAST with their Grandpa in heaven watching over us and planning tricks to play on us when we all meet one day. You are amazing girl, love ya!
Roller coaster of emotion!! Congrats on a little April Fools day baby. Can't wait to hear if it will be a girl or a boy! (Will you find out before?)
Sorry to hear about your miscarriage. Congrats on being pregnant!
Just read this post. I too got pregnant right after my dad passed and was planned but unexpected.....and I'm not kidding when I tell you that I am due on his death date too. I just started crying when I read this post. That is just crazy! Glad to hear that you are doing well.
Cheryl Richards
Post a Comment