Monday, September 17, 2012

I can't see him, but I know he is still a part of my life


Every parent has done it before. They put their baby to bed, and once they are sound asleep the parent goes into the child's room just to "check on them." Immediately after seeing their adorable baby peacefully sleeping, they are filled with a deep sense of love for their child. It is such a beautiful feeling.

The other day I was getting ready for bed, when Eva came to my mind. I missed her and wanted to see her. (Which is funny considering that she is with me most of the day, but that is motherhood for you :) So I went into her room to get a glimpse or her sleeping. That deep feeling of love for my child came to me, and I thought, "She has no idea that I am here, but I just love her so much. She is so beautiful."

Then, as if my dad was standing right next to me, I heard a thought in my mind. It was my dad telling me, "That is exactly what it is like when I visit you. You can't see me, but I see you, and I have so much love for you. You are so beautiful to me."

And of course that thought made me cry.

I know my dad "visits" me more than I will ever know. Sometimes I feel him. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes he is there to help me. And sometimes he is there to visit because he misses me. And I can't see him, but I know he is there in my life. Just as I check in on Eva sometimes when she sleeps. 

5 comments:

weston'smommy said...

That was beautiful! I am so glad you shared that.

Kaylyn said...

So beautiful and so true. A parent's love is definitely endless and eternal.

Haley said...

Oh Ali this post touched my heart and put tears in my eyes. Your sweet Eva is a sleeping beauty, love that little picture. What a tender confirmation you got of your father's endless love for you. xo

Alyse said...

Such a sweet post Ali! You are amazing. Love you.

Kristen said...

well spoken. I miss you guys!