Friday, January 18, 2013

ANGELS STILL SING FOR HIM



I finally got around to taking down the Christmas decorations this week. Finally, I know. It was just such an interesting Christmas and I didn't feel like doing it any earlier. 


With my broken foot (more on that in another post) and this being the first Christmas without my dad, the season was so much harder, yet so much more meaningful for me this year.


Eva was ready to take off all the ornaments the day after I put them all up. The poor tree had every ornament taken off within her reach almost the entire time. 


Even the New Years Day decor stayed up for a while.


Although, when I finally decided to take it down, I had the sweetest little helper.


In taking down all the Christmas decorations, this article I wrote came to mind. I felt like I should post it on our blog. While I wrote this to share with members in my church, I thought I would also post it here. It describes everything I have been feeling lately, and I hope in sharing this that others can take hope in its simple message.


ANGELS STILL SING FOR HIM

Christmas is finally over. This year was harder than I thought it would be. My father passed away in March and this was the first Christmas without him. Since I was little, every Christmas Eve my dad would read the story of the Nativity from the bible. This holiday season as I reflected upon Christ’s birth and the nativity I paid more attention to that angel and many others who came to the shepherds to testify of the mission of our Savior.

Hark the herald angel’s sing

"Glory to the newborn King!”

Now that my dad is gone from this mortal world, the concept of angels is more real to me. Today angels seen and unseen sing for our Savior by testifying of his love and his divine mission and purpose. You don’t need to hear Christmas songs to know that that angels still sing for Him.

Elder Holland explained this beautifully. He stated, “I testify that angels are still sent to help us, even as they were sent to help the Savior of the world Himself.… Usually such beings are not seen. Sometimes they are. But seen or unseen they are always near. Sometimes their assignments are very grand and have significance for the whole world. Sometimes the messages are more private. Occasionally the angelic purpose is to warn. But most often it is to comfort, to provide some form of merciful attention, guidance in difficult times.” (Holland, October 2008, The Ministry of Angels)

Think about it. In this life we serve to show love to the person we are serving and to our Savior. We grow closer to Christ when we serve because we become more Christ-like. Why would that change in the next life? It doesn’t, in fact part of the work in the spirit world is to serve those we love and testify of our Savior.

Joseph F. Smith also talked about the involvement of angels in our lives, “I believe we move and have our being in the presence of heavenly messengers and of heavenly beings. We are not separate from them. … We live in their presence, they see us, they are solicitous for our welfare, they love us now more than ever.” (Joseph F. Smith, in Conference Report, Apr. 1916, 2–3)

So this year as you put your Christmas decorations away, and you look at the angels that adorn your Christmas tree and nativity scene take some time to recognize that angels still sing for him. Believe in heavenly beings, believe that you have all kinds of help that you cannot see.

“I testify of angels…. In doing so I am testifying that God never leaves us alone, never leaves us unaided in the challenges that we face… there are always those angels who come and go all around us, seen and unseen, known and unknown, mortal and immortal.”
“May we all believe more readily in, and have more gratitude for, the Lord’s promise: “I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, … my Spirit shall be in your [heart], and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.” (Holland, October 2008, The Ministry of Angels)
Even though my dad wasn’t with me physically this Christmas, I know that he is still involved in my life spiritually. He is one of many Angels that still sing for Him.



(Daddy and daughter. One very special relationship that I hope Eva never takes for granted)



1 comment:

Laura Essig said...

What a beautiful post.. I loved your house for Christmas, post some pics of that nasty foot!!Love you guys, Eva just keeps getting cuter and cuter