Sunday, September 13, 2009

Chile

After 11 hours of flying including a red-eye flight we arrived in Santiago, Chile. We had planned a 24-hour layover so that Ali could see one of her favorite companions in Chile. Only problem was that after we had already booked the tickets we found out that Hna. Torres couldn't get time off to meet us in Santiago. :(.

We decided we'd take advantage of our time in Chile and get to know the city of Santiago anyway. Ali contacted some of her old mission friends that lived in Santiago and with their help we planned our day.


Our biggest expense of the day was our "visa" to get into Chile. It cost $262 (that's right dollars) just to get into the country. We felt so robbed, and almost decided to stay in the airport for the day. However, we decided we had to take advantage of our time in Chile and would probably never come back. We also didn't feel as bad when we learned that the US charges Chileans the same amount for their visas.

One of our first stops was an ice cream store so that Ali could get her favorite ice cream: Tramontana

Ali's friend, Andres Moya had a friend pick us up at the airport and take us to downtown Santiago. From there we bought bus tour passes and spent most of the day touring the city...





One of the first stop on the tour bus was a shopping mall. Who would have guessed? Apparently people travel all over the and one of the first things they want to do is go to a shopping mall, just like back home. I guess one difference was that here they trimmed a bush into a Coca-cola bear. We spent some time roaming the mall and Ali got her ice cream and then we headed back to the bus for the rest of the tour.

After an all night plane ride Lincoln was tired. Thanks to Ali for her nice big purse...so versatile.

Ali took some time too...



For the majority of the bus tour we just ended up taking pictures from the bus. The Andes mountains made for a beautiful back drop.






Just enjoying the bus ride...


Near the end of the tour we got out and wandered the streets in search of great deals! Ali was looking for jewelry. She was impressed at how patient Lincoln was being with her. He usually hates shopping, but when you're in a foreign country and there's nothing else to do, it's not that bad.


One of the last stops on the tour was Santiago's main square. Of course in the middle of the square was their main cathedral. It was beautiful on the inside as most cathedrals are...







Next to the cathedral was the old Post Office building



After a few failed attempts to catch the tour bus we decided to walk back to where we started...El Palacio de la Moneda. It's Chile's White House.


As you can see in the background they have guards dressed in old school uniforms guarding El Palacio

We hung out at El Palacio for a while as we waited for Andres to get off work. After we met up with Andres we went to Cerro Santo Lucia, a famous hill in the middle of Santiago. On the top of the hill is an old fort. On the way up are some beautiful fountains and architecture.


View of the city on our way up the hill.



Fountain on the way up





View from the top.
Us with Andres


After we visited the hill and Ali bought a matching necklace and earrings made from Lapis Lazulie - a stone found only in Chile and Afghanistan, we hitched a ride on the subway system to the temple. We were very impessed with how nice and well kept the subway was.


The Santiago Chile temple




After visiting the temple we met up with Ali's other friend, Rolando Gonzales and they took us to an authentic Chilean restaurant. We all ate way too much...


Following dinner the restaurant put on a very interesting show...





After dinner we took the metro to Andres' parents' house where we stayed the night. We got a decent nights sleep but had to wake up at 5AM to make our flight to Argentina. We flew on LAN Chile and both agreed it was the nicest flight of the entire trip.

7 comments:

Kathryn said...

Great pics! My husband served his mission in Chile, I think he would LOVE to go back there some day, sounds like a fun trip!

Janny said...

I have been waiting for the next round of pictures... I just keep looking for them and now they are here!! I am so glad you two had such a great time. I feel like I am living the trip vicariously through you guys. If only we could go back too!

Aunt Spicy said...

So glad you did not stay in the airport! What a great adventure!

Anonymous said...

As I was looking through this post the tears almost started coming!! I had been to so many of those places on P-day's and I passed La Moneda when we had to renew our Chilean visas, and of course I went to the temple a few times... and I just miss it all sooo much! I dream of going back someday! I think it is so great that you went back to visit your mission. I wish EJ and I would have taken that opportunity before we had kids. Now I'm not sure when we'll be able to get back to our missions! It looks like you guys had a great time!

JoeGr said...

I am so jealous! I want to go back to Chile! The air polution was not bad, I'm glad you guys were able to see the mountain.

Joe

Kelli said...

I had forgotten what it was called but as soon as I saw your pic at Cerro Santo Lucia I immediately remembered it. Was EVERY single park bench occupied by couples making out?

Brooke S. said...

Ok, that was some fund virtual tourism. It's like I can lead 5 fives through everyone's blog! Keep blogging about your fun adventures!