Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Famous Wedding Dress

Going with the "couple costume" theme like we have for the past two years, this year for Halloween lincoln and I decided to be newly-weds. I had my parents ship me my DI wedding dress and an old tuxedo that I got back in the day from working at a tux shop when they were going to throw all the old stuff out. It turned out to be a great costume for Halloween.


This wedding dress has come close to ruining my life, and then saving my life a couple of years later. Let me explain.

I got the dress for $20 when I worked at the DI when I was 17. From that point on, whenever an occasion would permit, I would throw the dress on for crazy stomps, pranks or anything else exciting in high school. But when I reached the age of 18 and was "hanging out/dating/seeing" a guy that I totally liked, I pulled one too many pranks with this dress and showed up to his work with it on one day. Lets just say our "relationship" ended after that.

But I didn't let it end the good times in this old dress. When I was 19 and one of my guy friends would leave on a mission, I would put it on and show up at their house... just to let them know I was waiting for them. (in a wedding dress :)

Then the weekend I met Lincoln, he wanted to do a little background check on me so he g-chatted with his friend Matt who he thought might know me. Here is the chat:


me: I met another one of Cam's friends yesterday...Alicia Omburg or something like that she just got home from a mission to Argentina
6:02 PM cute girl
Matt: Ali? I know who she is. She's kind of weird but I like her
me: she's weird eh? i haven't got that feeling...
6:03 PM she and her ex-comp are staying at our place for 2 days while they're visiting out here
Matt: once she showed up at cam's in a wedding dress just for fun. i think she lost a little of that on the mission.
if it's who i'm thinking of
me: i'll have to ask her about that tonight
burnette
she goes by ali
so i'm thinking you're right
6:04 PM Matt: ask her about the wedding dress thing. if it's her, she's one of our favorites.
she's a sharp girl
me: she seems like a sharp girl...i'd take her out if she lived out here
6:05 PM
Matt: don't let that stop you!
me: well she's here tonight and heading to jersey tomorrow, so i don't think there's much i can do about that
6:06 PM


Good thing Lincoln didn't let the long distance stop him. He did follow Matt's advice and asked me about my "wedding dress" the very next day. I about freaked out when he asked that specific of a question--I was worried that he was talking about the story about the relationship that ended because of it. But later on I discovered that he was talking about the time I showed up at my friend Cameron's house in the dress before he left on his mission. And after I told Lincoln the rest of my wedding dress stories, we started talking about other things.... which led to emails.... which led to more phone calls.... which led to the best relationship of my life.

So it was only appropriate that we create more memories in the famous wedding dress.
But enough about the dress, look at Lincoln in his sweet tux!

I love this kid. I am glad The DI Wedding Dress helped make a way for me to put on a much prettier wedding dress and marry him.

12 comments:

Kristy said...

YES! I love it!

stephanie said...

I love the costumes, we need to get together soon. And please show up in the wedding dress!

Hailey Smoot Kandell said...

k i love that story..

Emily said...

Yes! The wedding dress! So glad you've gotten so much use out of it. :)

w and w said...

How funny. Love the story. Seriously the DI provides some of the best things!

Amy Watts said...

Ha ha ha! Love it!

Laura Essig said...

hahaha, that's so funny. love the dress. but I am glad it wasn't your real wedding dress

Haley said...

ha! What a great story :) and you rocked the dress this year!! both your costumes were epic. And I'm a total believer in being newly weds for life! woo! ;)

Erin said...

You guys look adorable!

Justin and Lindsey Neumann said...

Ali you just crack me up. Best story ever!

Kristin said...

oh those are some good memories! I won't ever forget you coming to see Cam in that dress! Classic! Also Matt (and I) are proud to have played a part for one of our favorite couples. You guys are the best! :)

Al & Whitney said...

hahah I love it