Since little Eva was a week overdue, I was scheduled to be induced on May 31st. I was originally supposed to go to the hospital at 1am, but at about 11:30 pm the hospital called to say that they were full and asked that we come in around 5 or 6am. So we went back to bed and woke up at 5, called the hospital and they asked us to be in at 7am.
This is right before we left to the hospital. Here I am at 41 weeks pregnant.
In the waiting room in the hospital
Once we finally got our room and everything was prepared, my doctor came in and broke my water. Then they started me on pitocin at about 9:45am. The contractions started coming slowly, but surely. I really started feeling them around noon. And after talking to my doctor I decided to get the epidural around 4pm so that I could be relaxed and hopefully help the labor progress.
After the epidural, everything was pretty relaxed. We watched movies, and I finished some last minute work emails on my blackberry.
After 17 hours of labor, I was dilated to a 9 and 100% effaced, but the baby was just not moving down. Earlier that day my doctor warned me that if the baby didn't move down that I may have too small of a pelvis and have to have a C-Section. But my doctor said that he was patient and that we would wait as long as possible to try to deliver naturally. I really didn't want a C-section so I gave it all I could. But everytime I had a contraction, the baby's heart rate would go down. They watched me closely for hours. My doctor kept checking me and at around midnight he finally said that her head was stuck and that now I was not as dilated/effaced and that there was basically no way this baby would come out except through a C-section. I was devastated. After crying and talking to Lincoln and my mom we knew that there was really nothing else we could do. What was most important was that the baby come out safely. So they prepared me to go into the OR.
The actual operation itself went by pretty fast. By that point I was completely exhausted. It was after 2am, I hadn't eaten in over 24 hours, I had been in labor for 17 hours. I was shaking uncontrollably. And I was under a lot of drugs. Looking back it all kind of seems like a blur.
But I was so happy when I heard little Eva cry. Lincoln told me she was beautiful, and said she had a cute nose and big lips. I got to see her for just a second before they took her away and sewed me up.
The nice thing with C-sections is that you get to stay in the hospital for 5 days. The day after Eva was born we all just slept and took time to recover. It took an entire day (and a good night's sleep) to get to the point where I felt like I could enjoy my darling little girl.
And enjoy her we did. We have all fallen in love with her.
We had so many good friends come and visit us in the hospital. It meant a lot to us to have everyone visit to see little Eva.
And of course, I couldn't be more thankful to have my mom with me during the whole thing. I don't know what I would do without her. Lincoln and I have no idea what we are doing, so it was so nice to have my mom there to help us!
We were extra lucky to have Lincoln's dad come and visit for the weekend. It was so great to have family around!
And after our 5 day stay in the hospital--(which felt more like a hotel, I love Virginia Hospital Center, the nurses are amazing)--we got to go home.
Eva is so tiny that we had to adjust the car seat!
And now we are just enjoying our little baby girl. My mom is still here for another week (thank goodness) and we are doing a lot of playing, sleeping, and eating :)
We love love love little Eva Lina.































































29 comments:
She is so beautiful! I love her gorgeous black hair. Thanks for sharing her birth story. I'm amazed at all the great photos you have!! I hope you have an easy recovery and you can just soak up your darling baby. (And if you're feeling a little crazy, you'll probably start feeling a lot better around 6 weeks).
She is so so beautiful! Ali, you look amazing! I wish I could look like that right after my c-section. Congrats to all of you! Enjoy your baby girl.
Beautiful baby and beautiful mama, enjoy your sweet family, time goes by way to quickly :)
Congratulations on the arrival of little Eva! She's is such a gorgeous girl and I'm sure you're so glad to finally have her here! C-sections can be a hard thing to have done, but you got quite a few positives out of the experience: Eva and no future labor pains. :)
Congrats to you both again & enjoy your new little girl!
She is such a beauty! These pictures are making me a little baby hungry. :) I'm sorry you had to have a C-section but very glad that Eva made it out safely. Love you Ali! Enjoy these precious newborn days.
She is beautiful Ali! I'm so glad that everything went okay. Enjoy every second you can with her (dishes can always wait!). Those photos were amazing. Big kudos to the photographer (your mom or Lincoln I'm assuming).
Wonderful! I'm so glad that all is well and you have your baby girl home. so happy for you!
she's gorgeous!! How awesome is Lincoln to take such great pics? well done. you are a trooper -17 hours of labor is no joke! way to go supermom!!!!!
She is such a pretty little thing! Congrats! I'm so happy youdid not have her 'prarie days' and are both healthy.
Congrats Ali, she is so cute! I'm so excited for you to be a mom! I'm so sorry about the c-section...no fun at all! I think once you've had one yourself, you cringe a little when you hear someone else had to have one too. Hope you're healing well and enjoying time with your sweet new baby!
Ohh sweet Ali, sweet baby, I love you both so much!
Hey, this is Lincoln's cousin, Claire, over in Pittsburgh, just wanted to say congratulations! She's adorable!
I love the lips!! She is so adorable. I'm so happy that everything went great with your delivery :)
Take Care
Wow, that sounds like a rough delivery, but I'm glad she and you made it through safely. She is so beautiful! Congratulations!!!
congrats! She is beautiful. Hopefully we will get to meet her when we are back in the Wash Metro area in the Fall.
I love it!! What a pretty little girl! And you really shouldn't look that good when you give birth! haha. You look awesome!! I'm glad everything went well:) Ah! enjoy that little love!
She is a cute little thing! Congrats! Babies are so much fun and it's always nice to have your mom there to help.
I love that Lincoln still had to wear a hair net!
yay yay yay! what a story-- so sorry things were crazy-- but now she is here and perfect! so happy for you guys.
Ali you couldn't have made a cuter baby!! Congratulations. I love your story and she is absolutely beautiful. Congrats!
Congrats Ali!! I'm so sorry to hear about your long labor....I feel for you :) I'm glad everything went ok and hope you're feeling good. You look amazing in those pics!!
Congrats Lincoln and Ali. She is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!! Being a mommy is wonderful isn't it?
What a precious little girl!!!! and lucky to be in your family!! :) Loved each and every photo you shared of the experience...such a miracle how it all works :) Praying you have a smooth recovery Ali! Glad you & Eva are doing well and are healthy :) SO HAPPY FOR YOU!
and i'm glad to hear you're soaking up the time with your sweet mom there...such treasured memories :)
She is such a doll!! Enjoy!!! :)
I loved reading that! She is so pretty, I love the lips! Sounds like you had quiet the experience! I hope you are enjoying your new baby!
You are amazing and Eva is beautiful. C-sections are no joke, but so glad she got here safe and sound.
Congrats you guys! So glad Eva made it here healthy and safe. She is darling! I hope your recovery goes well! It is totally not fair to go thru labor AND a c-section... However I loved just snuggling my baby all day cause I HAD to while I was recovering! Silver lining...
She is so darling!!! WoW! What a delivery! I am still wondering how you managed to look good in every picture. Really, how'd you do it? You are amazing. Congratulations!
YAYY!!
Post a Comment