Sunday, June 19, 2011

the slow life

Eva 1

Life is on pause.
Gone are the 6am pilates classes
Breaking news is no longer breaking by the time i read it
No more staff meetings
No more press releases
No more lunch briefings
No more press calls (actually I still do get press calls, but I kindly tell them I am on maternity leave)

The fast life has been replaced with the slow life.
l now wake up anywhere between 9:30 and 11:30am (depending on how bad the night before was)
I am happy to say that I do get dressed and ready everyday, even if the only face that sees me is this one:
eva lina
But most of the time she looks more like this:
eva sleeping
(sound asleep)

I am still trying to get used to the fact that I may only get one thing checked off my to do list--And that is if I am lucky. Some days just checking off one thing is too much.

At least I can now type one handed. I have perfected the art of nap taking. (Best advice ever--sleep when the baby sleeps!) And, I am incredibly entertained by the funny faces my baby girl makes.
funny face eva

I am officially in babyland, where time does not exist. The days and nights seem to blur together. My hormones are out of whack and I tend to cry a lot easier than I used to. I feel like I have my body back, until I try on my shorts I used to wear last year...(did my hips seriously expand that much!?) I still experience random pain from my c-section if I get up wrong, or reach for something too far. My whole world and my whole life have seemed to flip upside down.

But that is because it is not about me anymore. It is not about my time, or my body, or my life. That will all come back in time. But for now, it is all about this life.
eva blue
Eva in awe
eva 2

25 comments:

Kristen said...

Ali, that's a beautiful post. I'm so excited for you and she is beautiful just like her mom!

Sunshine Promises said...

Very well put. Having a child IS an adjustment. Big time. But it is one of Life's greatest blessings. Take it in and try and be present in every. single. moment. They are simply magical.

M + D said...

Wow she is just so adorable! I'm so happy for you :)

M said...

She is so cute. It definitely is the slow life and often the boring, monotonous life. I am glad you are getting naps!

Barb said...

Isn't is just surreal? It's so fun but also so different! You have such a beautiful girl and I'm glad you are just soaking her up!

Melissa said...

So darling...I'm proud of you! We didn't think you could have a slow life! ;)

Ali said...

Ali, she is SO BEAUTIFUL!!! I am so happy for you guys!! Id love to catch up sometime when you get a minute!

Ash said...

What a little sweetheart! Congratulations, Ali. She is BEAUTIFUL. I'm so happy for you guys:)

JMP said...

So great seeing you over the weekend. Eva is amazing! I couldn't believe how long she was -- what a doll. Very happy for you guys. XOXO Jillian

JMP said...

So great seeing you guys over the weekend. I couldn't get over how long Eva is -- she is a total doll. Can't wait to watch her grow! Hang in there in the crazy moments. XOXO Jillian

Stephanie said...

You got it. Right on, Mama.

Holly said...

Well said! You sure have a pretty girl on your hands:) I love all the pics!

weston'smommy said...

She is absolutely gorgeous! i love all her outfits. Don't worry it does get easier but now just enjoy her and who cares about to do lists and baby fat. Time truly is baby time because it goes way too fast!

Haley said...

the slow life is the sweet life :) I can imagine how much an adjustment it is for you coming from working almost every day with the hustle and bustle of the white house :) Loved those photos of Eva!! what a little beauty. And now you can add one-handed typing to your resume! ;)

Erin said...

I'm so proud of you Ali! You have such a great attitude. I was in complete shock after Hyrum was born and couldn't belive what I'd done with my life! She's a perfect little doll with such sweet clothes. Good luck with everything!

jessica.h said...

I love that face! Seriously, she's got the prettiest little lips! Congrats, and I swear it gets better :). (I wasn't a big fan of "the slow life" phase.)

Britt said...

Time does really stand still. Some days I wasn't even sure what day of the week it was (especially since I didn't go to church for a few weeks). But the babe is adorable, so just enjoy it. And I still take a nap once a day. So necessary.

Annie and Berkeley said...

Your sweet girl is gorgeous! I hope you are adjusting well to the slow life. I had a really rough time at first getting used to being home with little responsibility other than my child and home, but that's responsibility enough, right?! Congrats again.

Brooke S. said...

Yay!

Unknown said...

She is beautiful! Congrats, congrats! I am so thrilled for you!

Sharri Morley said...

I hear you! It's amazing how drastically life can change or how natural it can feel. She's gorgeous! Checking off the list is a tough one. I feel like keeping her fed,happy and SLEEPING is a job well done!

Marinda said...

My she is a cute little thing. I'm so proud of you for putting all that other stuff on hold while you take time for the most important job in the world. Eva will always be so glad.

Unknown said...

Ali! I've been thinking about you! Such a sweet post. She is adorable, and I am proud of you for napping!

A girl named Holly... said...

Congrats Essigs! Ali, you are one of those ridiculously adorable pregnant people who you can't really even tell that you're pregnant from behind. Sigh...still hoping I'll be like you when I grow up.

Eva is darling. I hope you two are enjoying the "slow life."

Hugs, Holly

alivaux said...

gahh!!! she is such a cutie!! so glad you are facing your new pace with such a beautiful outlook!!!