It is my birthday today. 28 years old. This birthday it is a little different though. I usually get so excited to celebrate my day but this year I watched the clock turn midnight as I went through all my pictures to search for some of my dad. And then I found these two pictures and I cried like a baby.
My dad was always so proud of me. You can see it on his face. And I am not just talking about how most parents are proud of their kids. My dad was like super duper proud, if that is even possible. My entire life I would try to excel just to please him and give him a reason to brag about me. When I was Junior class president the whole town knew about it. When I was traveling Europe and studying in Cambridge he told everyone and proudly wore the shirt I got him for years. He told all who would listen that I was the first woman LDSSA President at the U. When I served a mission he told everyone about my converts. When I worked on Capitol Hill he would listen and watch the interviews that I had booked and would tell me how impressed he was that I was working for a Congressman.
While I acted embarrassed when he talked about me to others, deep down inside I LOVED it. I miss him today. He was my biggest fan. And it is hard to celebrate my birthday without him.
Yet at the same time, seeing these pictures just confirms the feeling that my dad is still just as proud of me as always, and that today he is going to be with me more in spirit than he would have been if he were alive.

10 comments:
Sweet Alli, Happy Birthday. I am so sorry for the loss of your dear Dad. I have no doubt he is ever more proud of you as he watches you from above become the best mom you know how. I hope this year brings you more peace and love in this sorrowful time.
Make sure Lincoln takes good care of you and showers you with lot's of love and presents! Oh, and I have a sneaking suspicion Lincoln is right in line with your dad for being your number one fan.
I think you are pretty great myself.
Hugs, Holly
Dearest Ali...It has been ages. Just stumbled across your blog and am in tears. So very sorry for your loss. Your dad was an amazing man! He was always so proud of you and still is and always will be so proud of you!!! I hope you have a great birthday considering the circumstances, but continue to make your dad proud. He is and will always be watching over you. You have always been amazing and I have always looked up to you. Praying you find peace and are able to feel your dads love and your Saviors love on your special birthday. Thinking of you!!!
Happy Birthday to you, Ali! I really hope it is a good one. That last picture of you & your dad is the sweetest, sweetest picture. His face says it all.
Happy Birthday today! How did we get to be 28? We are getting old! You are an amazing girl with such a good heart. Your daddy is with you today celebrating!!
Happy Birthday Ali! I am sure this is hardest birthday you've had. Having a loved one physically gone in this life is so so hard! I hope you feel your Dad close to you today. Those pictures are so sweet of you and your dad.
Happy Birthday to my most amazing friend. What a day. I can tell from those pictures that your Dad truly treasures you. Have Lincoln give you a hug for me. (not that we hug the same, but I know he would give you a hug since I can't - here is my long distance hug).
Oh Ali, reading your posts about your dad just make me want to give you a big hug and cry with you. You are such an amazing gal. Of course your dad would be proud of you!! Hang in there. I've been thinking of you. Oh! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :)
Happy Birthday Sweet Ali! Since thinking about you and your family it made me giggle and smile to think of some funny memories we have shared together over the years even though we haven't always stayed in touch. Thank you for always showing such a happy, strong example. I hope that even reminiscing about your dad helps you to be close to him on your birthday! I sure love and miss you!
This post is so sweet. Sending birthday love your way. xoxo
I LOVE YOU ALI!!! You are so strong!!
Post a Comment