Thursday, April 19, 2012

March 30, 2012




Nothing could prepare me for the phone call I received on March 30, 2012. I was having a lazy day and wasn't in a very good mood for whatever reason. It was cold and cloudy outside. I was watching the show "Awake" on my ipad and Eva was playing with toys when my mom called. I thought it was just the usual call from my mom checking up on how I was doing. So I ignored it. The show was about a minute from being over. As soon as it finished I called her back. My mom was shaking in her voice, "Ali, dad might be dead." I asked what was going on and she said that my dad was out target shooting with my brothers when he had what they thought was a heart attack and collapsed. My oldest brother started CPR on him, my other brother called 911 and my other brother gave my Dad a blessing. The ambulance came and had shocked my dad 3 times. I told my mom that I didn't know what to say or do. I was helpless. The only thing I felt I could do was pray. She said, "me too." And we hung up the phone.


All I could say in my prayer was, "Please don't take my dad, please don't take my dad." Then I called Lincoln and told him. All he could say was, "Are you serious?" After I hung up the phone my brother Davin called me. He said "Ali, dad is dead." And then he broke down. My only response was, "Are you sure, are you sure? Did they try everything they could do? Was there nothing else they could do?" Then my mom called, I told her I was going to get there as fast as I could. I called Lincoln and he had already booked me a flight. (thank goodness for sky miles!) I needed to be at the airport in an hour. The next couple of hours were a blur. I somehow sent some emails to cancel my pilates classes, packed, got on a plane and cried hysterically for almost the entire flight to NYC. The flight from NYC to SLC was a little smoother. Eva fell asleep and I took the time to write about my dad in my journal. I still couldn't believe he was gone.

As soon as I arrived in Utah it seemed like time slowed down. I asked my family to give me every single detail of what happened and then we went to bed. My eyes were so puffy that next day. The tears never really stopped flowing. But somehow I put myself together enough to go to the mortuary with my mom. We were both a mess, but I was able to hold things up a little more than my mom. I was able to take notes about everything that we had to do: write the obituary, remember to bring them Dad’s temple clothes, get the program ready for the funeral, etc. My mom just kept saying, “oh Ali I am so glad you are here. It didn’t seem that long ago when I was here with my mom doing the same thing you are when my dad died.” We picked out my dad’s casket together. We knew exactly which one—the silver one because to my mom it looked like gun, and to me it looked like a shiny new car. We knew dad would love it.



Over the next couple of days I saw many changes occur in my mom. She was deeply overcome with sorrow, yet simultaneously she was glowing with love. I saw a love that she had for my dad like I have never seen before. And with that love came a renowned sense of faith. Her heart was broken. The love of her life was taken unexpectedly from her, yet she stayed strong. And she strengthened all of us. She found a deep sense of peace knowing that it was incredibly important to my dad that he provided for our family. Why would that change now? She believed our dad wouldn’t leave us unless some way, somehow things would work out.



When someone dies a lot of people say, "I am so grateful for the plan of Salvation and to know that there is a purpose to this life and that there is life after death." I whole heartedly agree, yet the statement didn't give me much comfort. It didn't take the pain away. What gave me more comfort was not only the knowlegdge but the understanding that dad was still with us. And as my mom said, "to look for all the miracles that demonstrate he is still here."

When my friend's dad died a couple of months ago she told me that when someone dies it is so important to keep your eyes open. "The veil is thin" as she said. And if you are aware of the subtleties you will see things, and hear things and feel things that will give you understanding and show you that the spirit lives on.

There are too many miracles to write down on this post. And many of them are too private for such a public place. But I can tell you one thing, my dad is still with me.

When I saw his body in that casket there was something missing. It didn't even look like him. His spirit wasn't there. And I was surprised that I felt my dad more with me than I did seeing him in that casket.


Don't get me wrong. There is a hole in my life now that will never be filled. This has been one of the hardest experiences I have ever gone through, yet at the same time it has been one of the most loving and spiritual experiences I have ever gone through.


21 comments:

Kristy said...

Oh Ali, that was beautiful. Thank you for writing it.

Janey said...

Ali, my heart has just been aching for you since I heard about your dad. What a beautiful post to commemorate his life! We'll keep you all in our prayers!

Andrea McEntire said...

I am so sorry Ali. I can't imagine how incredibly difficult this time has been for you. I'm so sorry. I'm glad you have found some peace through all of this. You will be in my prayers.

PC said...

Ali, I'm very sorry for your loss and I know that he is still with you and your family. All our best as you work through this time of healing with faith and the support of family and friends - and, of course, your dad who is still near.

Melissa said...

Oh I love that photo of you and your mom at the funeral...so perfect. You're such an example of perspective, hope, and happiness. Thanks so much for sharing, we love you guys!!

Erin Webster said...

I am so touched by that post. I am so so sorry for your loss but I am so touched by your positive perspective and your gratitude for the blessings you have received trough it all.

Natster said...

Oh Sweet Ali. That was a very tender post. I love your spirit and testimony. My thoughts and prayers have been sent your way over the last little bit. :)

Natster said...

Oh Sweet Ali. That was a very tender post. I love your spirit and testimony. My thoughts and prayers have been sent your way over the last little bit. :)

Emily Hamilton said...

I have been thinking about you a lot! You have amazing faith and such a good perspective on life. I agree with you that the 'veil is thin'.
Thanks for your great example. Sending love to you and your awesome family.

M said...

So sad for you, Ali. I am amazed by your perspective.

Al & Whitney said...

You are so amazing Ali, loved reading this post. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad and can't imagine how hard this has been for you and your family. Thinking of you!! xoxo

SJ said...

Ali. Love you so much. Thank you for sharing.

Barb said...

I read this beautiful tribute to your dad with tears streaming down your face. The veil truly is thin, I have felt it, too. Love to you and your family.

Melanie said...

I am so sorry for your families loss. I can tell by your dad's photos, how kind her was. This was such a sweet post.

Kristen said...

That was a beautifully written post. You are all still in my prayers.

Julie said...

Ali, my heart breaks for your family, this was a beautiful post and that photo of you and your mom at the funeral is beautiful. We will continue to keep you and your family in our prayers.

S.A.S. said...

Thank you for sharing your experience - the loss, the love, the feelings of the Spirit (both Heavenly Father's and your Dad's). I've thought about you so much these weeks and send my prayers with the many many who love you.

Jill said...

Ali, I can't even imagine. I hope you continue to feel that strength as the months go by. You are a beautiful lady with a wonderful family. Thanks for sharing your insights with such a hard experience.

xo

Bonnie said...

My heart goes out to you and your family

Unknown said...

Thanks for opening your heart Ali. I agree about opening your eyes to the subtle things... I was very close to both of my grandparents and I have felt them and experience many miracles since they have passed away. The veil is so thin and they are here with us, helping, often when we don't even realize it.

S. Gibson said...

Ali, I am just catching up on blogs over the last few months and just read about the loss of your father. I cried reading your posts about him and the great man that he was and I didn't even know him. Your stories about him are beautifully written. I hope you will continue to be lifted up by the thoughts and prayers of your friends and family. Our prayers are with you guys.