Thursday, September 30, 2010

Happy to be Alive


A reporter called our office, wanting to express his condolences. He was so sorry to hear about the loss of Alisia. Then my co-worker asked, "What are you talking about?"
He had called my old cell number (not knowing it had changed) and when the lady answered and he asked for Alisia, she said "Oh, she died. We just found out... I am going to have to let you go now."
So, for obvious reasons, he was concerned. My co-worker graciously replied that I am still alive and doing well and handed the reporter over to me. We laughed and joked about how I had apparently returned from the dead.
But in all honesty, I really am happy to be alive today!

8 comments:

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

OK, this story totally cracked me up and I dared all of my coworkers to do it next time we got a wrong number. I love that guy who has your new phone number.

Doctor said...

I changed my number well over a year ago. I wasn't surprised when initially I got calls for the old owner of the number - that's typical. What wasn't typical was that the old owner and I share the same first name. So these mistaken callers would ask for me, by name. For the first few months I would go through a dialogue with them: me trying to figure out who they were, and they were trying not to be offended that I didn't know them.

Anyway, it's a year later and I'm still getting those calls. What's funny at this point is that these callers go out of their way to explain that "oh, yeah.. sorry, I talk to him all the time." Clearly not.

When the other guy's niece called for her uncle, the thought crossed my mind (while she was busy being offended that I didn't even remember her: whose kid?) that I could play some nasty tricks. It seems that your number's new owner discovered the same thing. Awesome.

Laura Essig said...

hahaha... I am glad you're alive too!

Lincoln and Alisia said...

Derek! That is too funny! I seriously think that the women who has my old number was just super annoyed. Before this incident, she used to yell at people and tell them to stop calling her and to tell "Alicia to let everyone know" I was warned...

Erin said...

That is hilarious! I'm glad you're alive too!

JMay said...

How crazy!!! lol

It is indeed a good way to be alive!

Holly said...

Wow...that is kinda really funny! But I am so glad you are alive too:) Very glad:)

Andrea McEntire said...

That is so funny!