Thursday, July 14, 2011

What was I thinking???

Recently Updated
(Eva at one month)

A couple of months before my due date, I was asked to participate in a panel presentation and speak with two other Communication Directors who work on the Hill for a local Conference. The date we were to speak was about a month after my due date. At the time I thought it would be no big deal to speak. I had done it the year before and even though I knew I was going to be a new mother, I didn't think it would be a problem at all.

What was I thinking???

Fast forward to the day before the Conference. I received an email that gave the details as to where and when I was going to meet everyone for the panel. I had completely forgotten that I had agreed to speak. I just had a baby three weeks before, and my brain was in a whole other world. When I read the email, I panicked. I was supposed to be in DC at 9am the next day. I struggled to get out of the house by 11am most days! (Mostly because of the 1am, 3am, 6am, and 9am feedings....) I was so completely sleep deprived that I thought it would be impossible to wake up and get ready that early. I had no idea what I was going to wear. None of my suits fit my postpartum body. And who was going to watch Eva?

Seriously, what was I thinking???

But I took a deep breath, told myself that I could do it, and called Lincoln to tell him what I had done. Lincoln said he would watch Eva and help us get ready so we could get out of the house on time. (Thank goodness for husbands, seriously how do single moms do it?)

And we did it.

And it felt good.

I managed to find an outfit that fit. It was so great to get on the metro all dressed up like a professional again. Although I kept having to remind myself that I was not pregnant anymore and that I couldn't expect special treatment like before (people opening doors, giving up their seats, etc) I was still healing from my c-section and had to walk slower, but I got to the to the Conference in time to speak. I enjoyed the panel presentation and it went really well.

As soon as it finished I got a frantic phone call from Lincoln (with a crying baby in the background) asking if I was on my way back yet.


Lincoln had taken Eva to work with him while I was at the Conference. She slept for most of the time, but cried for enough of the time that he decided it isn't so wise to babysit at work.

Even though everything ended up going well, I still couldn't help myself from thinking that we are crazy. I think next time I have a baby I am going to have more realistic expectations.


4 comments:

Hailey Smoot Kandell said...

you are good. i would have faked some kind of illness or actually had a panic attack the the prospect of leaving my teeny tiny the first time. good for you!

Barb said...

Way to go!!

Erin said...

Such a funny first mom experience! Eva is an absolute doll!

Sharri Morley said...

Holy Supermom Batman!! You're amazing for even considering it much less doing it! Well. Done.