Sunday, October 19, 2008

Dedicated to Mrs. Dubois


Since Lincoln and I went to the same high school, we both share similar high school memories. Some of those memories include the same teacher, the late Mrs. Dubois, who we both had (two years apart) for our 11th grade Honors English class. While some of Lincoln's memories include making movies for extra credit with his friends for Mrs. Dubois's class, he also gained a love and understanding, as I did, for words penned by Emerson and Thoreau.   

So when Lincoln and I were driving through Massachusetts, we were happy to be able to pay tribute to the great men, whose words have inspired us. 


And of course we thought of Mrs. Dubois the entire time. 



{Recounting instances of visiting Walden Pond with his wife, Elder Tom Perry emphasized the spiritual benefits of a simplified lifestyle}


Lincoln and I both agree that this place is Heavenly. 

And a great place to think. 



One of the sadder pieces of literature we read in Mrs. Dubois' class was the play, The Crucible by Arthur Miller.  It's based on the Salem witch trials in Salem, MA.  Being so close we had to stop by.  


The first stop was the old house of John Proctor.  He didn't believe the witch stories from the beginning and told everyone the cure was a good whipping.  Soon the girls turned on him, declaring him to be a witch...



We then went to the Salem Witch Museum.  They did a summary of the Salem Witch Trials and then told us how thousands of years ago witches were more like wise women in the community who knew about herbs and healing and such.  Eventually that turned into our green-skinned, long-nosed, broom-riding friends of today.  It was all very interesting.


In the witch museum they had life-sized diaramas depicting parts of the witch trials.  This diarama above is how the executed the witches.  In all 19 people were hanged for being witches (including John Proctor), and one man was pressed to death (slowly crushed with rocks) for not entering a plea.  It was a sad moment in our nation's history, and very sobering to visit the museum.  

It was a lot of fun to see the places we learned about in English class for ourselves.  We had a wonderful teacher, Mrs. Dubois,  that brought it to life for us.

  Our friend, Kristy, also wrote a sweet memory about Mrs. Dubois, that is worth your time to read. 


14 comments:

M. said...

yup, def one of my fav. married couples! ;) I have to return the Essential Writings of Emerson to the library today! I LOVE his writing!!!

Kristy said...

Oh yeah, great post, Ali! Your photography skills are amazing!

MaryAnn said...

I really enjoyed this post. I've never seen pictures of Walden Pond before but I read Walden in college! This is weird, but I feel like I have a better understanding of the book now that I see your pictures. It's so beautiful!

Kaylyn said...

I love the pictures, the tribute to Mrs. Dubois, Emerson, Thoreau and all of it. I want to go to Walden Pond!!

mare said...

i loved this. what a delight mrs. dubois was. those pictures are gorgeous. if i ever teach thoreau to my students i will be sure to steal them from your blog!

Maren said...

Jealous! I am jealous of your visit to Walden Pond. How beeyootiful! Don't you just love great English teachers! Ali when do you start your job on the hill? Good luck!

Sarah said...

Oh how sweet! We went to Walden Pond and I agree - it's absolutely gorgeous there! And I totally thought about Madame Dubois the whole time I was there. The tribute your friend wrote was great - that saying sticks in my head, even 8 years later! Long like pookas :)

Rachel said...

When Lance and I finally make the East coast tour I think we'll go in the fall. I'll have to hit you up for all the best places to go... although your pictures are great and tyding me over for the moment.
Thanks :)

Unknown said...

It's so beautiful there! We will definitely need to get back east to see it all. I love the pictures.

weston'smommy said...

How lucky you are to go to the places we learned so much about in Mrs. Dubois' class. She was an amazing teacher. I love your picures.

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

I've always wanted to go to Walden Pond, because of the awesome English teachers I've had in my life!! It looks even prettier than I imagined!

Chris said...

I remember that she loved pigs and how she would always play Simon and Garfunkel while we took tests. She really was sweet lady. love all the pics!! Karen

Hailey Smoot Kandell said...

Love those pics, they are awesome. And I had DuBois too, but I didnt go to her class as much as I DIDNT go to her class. OH Silly High School HAiley.

Unknown said...

Oh Mrs. Dubois. She forever changed me and gave me my love for literature. I hope she now realizes how many lives she changed for the better. For some reason the funniest memory I have is of watching some random movie in her class with a crazy orange orangutan in it...LOL