Monday, June 8, 2009

New Camera?

While in Utah I got my hands on a really nice camera and took some pics of my darling niece. It is amazing the difference a nice camera can make. I didn't even use any type of photoshop and the pics look a million times better than with our point and shoot. 











Lincoln and I have officially decided that we are going to save our pennies and buy a nice camera and lens for our "family Christmas present."
 Any recommendations? 

11 comments:

Barb said...

I have a Nikon D40 which I love. My advice is save your money for lenses0 don't spend it on the camera body. The basic stock lens that comes with the D40 will get you a lot of great shots.

Erica said...

Nikon all the way!

Jill said...

we have a canon rebel xsi and we love it. very user friendly and we are so happy with it. i know they just came out with a newer version... i think the t1i?

i think you can go either way with nikon or canon, they are very comparable. just see what fits for you and what one feels better in your hand. they say the precision of nikon is better and the color rendering is better for canon. but i think they're so close you can't tell.

the lenses are really where you start coming in and improving the image quality. so start basic, get a good body, and build lenses as you can.

done now. :)

M. said...

agree with the first comment. I bought an older Canon 20D and I love it, then I save up for better lenses... that's my pressie to myself. Once you get to a certain level it's just updates so don't even think you have to get the NEWEST, go for lenses.

Karissa Kay said...

i LOVE my Canon. I think Nikon and Canon are pretty much the same as far as quality goes. It just depends on what you prefer. I prefer Canon.

mare said...

i also have a canon rebel (like jill) and i am obsessed with it.

Hilary said...

I bought a Nikon D60, there are a few features that I like better in a more expensive model. I do like the color of the shots with a Canon a little better, so I just photo shop them. Look for a low F stop # when you are looking for lenses. The lower the F-stop the faster it will take the picture and the lower the light can be.
I am going to be going with a sloghtly higher F-stop so that I can get the full range that I am looking for (18-200) in one lens, and keep it "affordable" we'll see when that is, and what I think when I get it. The Nikon just felt better in my hand, and it was on a better sale when I bought it. Good luck with your decsion. Definatly invest in the lens, that is really where the quality comes in (I would go for a D80 if I were to do it again, with something other than a stock lens)

Al & Whitney said...

Nikon D90!!

Melissa said...

Ours is a Canon EOS 5D, and we loooove it, but honestly I think we would have loved whatever we got, as long as it wasn't our point and shoot. :) Just go for affordable on the body, then as everyone seemed to say, rock out on the lenses. It's all about a lens with good aperture when it comes to portrait photos. Ours is a 50 mm/1.4.

The Legal Nickel said...

Nikon D90. Definitely. Go to KenRockwell.com where you can get a lot of good tips and tricks concerning photography.

What The Hill? said...

I gotta agree with the Nikon love.I shoot with a D40 and love it. There are some things I wish I had that the higher end DSLR's do (like an internal motor for auto-focus on certain lenses, and the ability to auto bracket), but unless you are going to go semi-pro you will get most of what you need with the D40. Someone else said to get a cheaper body and spend your money on lenses. I couldn't agree more.

I went with the Nikon over Canon because I liked the way the Nikon felt in my hands. They seemed pretty similar quality wise.I would got to Best Buy or a like store and see how they feel when you gold them before you commit.