Thursday, January 7, 2010

Number 40: Be at Times Square on New Years Eve



Lincoln and I both have seperate lists of 100 things we want to do before we die. Number 40 on my list is to "be at Times Square on New Years Eve." This year, we decided we would check that one off the list.

Thanks to our wonderful friends Allison and Noah Riley, we were able to have a place to stay that night, plus a "home base" at their office, which was a block away from Times Square. It was great to go and warm up when we couldn't feel our toes after the hours of waiting outside.
View from Allison and Noah's office. Great location right?
These two are rock stars in the PR business.

Lincoln was really cold. Yes he did wear this. And yes he did embarrass me... slightly. At least until he bought a scarf.
We got to Times Square at 3:00pm and started the long wait!!

Just 7 hours, 28 minutes and 27 seconds to go!!
The Crowd

Yes, that sign says 6 hours to go!!
And that was after already waiting for 3 hours!

Luckily there was plenty of room to hang out and wait. NYC is amazing at crowd control. They split everyone into groups and then corralled us all in with gates. There was a lot more room than we had expected. People even brought mini chairs and DVD players.

It was cold. But we got free hats and chapstick from NIVEA.


We got pretty boared waiting, so we played CONNECT FOUR on Lincoln's blackberry for two hours. I LOVE that game!


MTV Stage. We were right by them most of the time.

And here comes the countdown to the ball
lifting ceremony that they have at 6pm!!




Yeah that is right, they have fireworks and a countdown to when they
LIFT the ball.



Then the concerts and party begins!

After 5 hours of waiting, and around 8pm it started to rain. Since we didn't have an umbrella and we knew that the Riley's had food and a bathroom in their office--and we could still catch a glimpse of Times Square, so we decided to leave our spot and head over to a warm place.

We ate yummy food and watched 30-Rock for a couple of hours. A little before midnight we ran back downstairs and down to Central Park, and celebrated the New Year with everyone. Then we got to see an amazing firework show that lasted almost a half hour!


Welcome 2010!!

12 comments:

Maren said...

Cooool! Although rumor has it that everyone there is wearing diapers. Seriously when you're trapped in the cage for ten hours how and where do you, (ahem) you know...

The Smoots said...

Hey! I am so happy you found my blog! What a fun new years eve, I have always wanted to go to new york for new years eve as well. So fun!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

that's cool! I've always wanted to do that. Except it seems a lot like NYE in Las Vegas. Hurry up and wait -- and at least for Vegas, smoke a lot of pot in the meantime. It reaked!

But fun! I thought there were more concerts and stuff leading up to the bit moment.

Hailey Smoot Kandell said...

WoW! How cool! I always watch New Year rockin Eve and see the ball drop, and think how fun it must be to actually be there. So glad I know someone who did go! You guys are rockstars for sure!

Sarah said...

That's so awesome! Of course, I think you guys are crazy... we wanted to be nowhere near Times Square when the ball dropped :) Great pictures!! Sorry we missed you in DC, that would have been awesome to get together.

Laura & Tyson said...

Awesome, and I'm totally jealous. That's something on our list also to do before we die!

Unknown said...

Go toshiba!

The Pyper's! said...

Jealous!! That is one thing on my list too! We added you to our blog list hope that is ok.

stephanie said...

That is so fun, I always wondered what it would be like to be there for new year! Love the hat. Hey I hope you guys are planning on having easter dinner with us! I look forward to having you guys over every year!

Rachel said...

that is a fabulous coat! Looks like you guys had a blast!

Anonymous said...

LOVE That! And crossing items off the big list is even better. :)

Chelsey said...

Brrr...that is a super cool thing to say that you have done, but I don't know if my internal thermostat could stand it! Happy New Year!