
It is 12:49am. I am officially 26 years old.
Lincoln is in North Carolina for work right now.
He called me and wished me Happy Birthday and told me I have a lot to be proud of for what I have been able to accomplish in 26 years.
The funny part was that I was looking at blogs before he called and I was just thinking about how incredible/talented/beautiful/______Fill in the blank here, all these other people are in blogland. There is always someone better/smarter/more beautiful and talented out there. And with technology today it isn't that hard at all to find them. All you have to do is click on one site and then another and all the sudden you get overwhelmed thinking about how little you have done in your life compared to so and so.
For some reason I have reflected a lot about life today. Maybe turning 26 will do that to you. But I think it all started with my scripture study and reading about how amazing Captain Moroni was. But little did I notice this verse until today: "Now behold, Helaman and his brethren were no less serviceable unto the people than was Moroni..." Even though they were not in the lime light---not the number one leader in command, and maybe not the smartest and most charismatic---they were no less serviceable.
Then on my walk into work I was thinking about what that meant, and how I could do more to be serviceable to God. I thought about how I can glorify God in everything I do. After all, every single talent that I possess and accomplishment that I have made came into my life because God gave it to me.
And then tonight I read this:
Lowliness Glorifies Christ.
"Maybe you have thought of the glory that Christ receives from brilliant genius and profound talent, from splendid gifts and glowing zeal, from costly sacrifices, and even extensive usefulness.
But have you ever thought of the glory, the far greater, richer glory, that flows to Him from a contrite spirit, a broken heart, a lowly mind, a humble walk; from the tear of godly repentance that falls when seen by no human eye, and the sigh of godly sorrow that is breathed when heard by no human ear; from the abhorrence of sin and loathing of self, the deep sense of vileness, poverty, and infirmity that takes you to Jesus with the prayer...” Octavius Winslow Morning Thoughts, 451 ~~~
I'm really not sure I've seen many examples of what it means to be lowly. I think the proudest men I've met in my life have been the leaders of christian organizations or those of the most conservative beliefs. Everyone seems to be wanting to be someone, something, magnified, promoted, honored, respected, put up, adored. Never questioned. What in the world is a humble walk?
I know I sure haven't lived one. I could say I've tried, but really I don't think 'trying' to be humble really cuts to the core.
Nobody wants to be a nobody. And yet, I've this feeling that it's in lowliness that God really comes and meets us. It's in honesty before God, authenticity with others with who I am that I find His grace come pouring into my soul.
He doesn't receive glory through a life that covers reality. Or one who is always trying to be a somebody. Or someone who hides failure - Lives a lie in order for others to respect them. Or puts forth an image of perfection or godliness - The life that makes great sacrifices in order to live according to certain man-made standards in order to be respected by man.
People that live this way may receive praise, they may gain followers. But the glory does not go to God.
In our human nature it seems there are those who strive to be the followed.
They become drunk with the respect they receive from others.
It's addictive and it destroys true character - and it separates us from God.
And then there those who are always looking for someone to follow.
I know I've fallen into both camps at different points along the way. (from Resolved2Worship)
I know I sure haven't lived one. I could say I've tried, but really I don't think 'trying' to be humble really cuts to the core.
Nobody wants to be a nobody. And yet, I've this feeling that it's in lowliness that God really comes and meets us. It's in honesty before God, authenticity with others with who I am that I find His grace come pouring into my soul.
He doesn't receive glory through a life that covers reality. Or one who is always trying to be a somebody. Or someone who hides failure - Lives a lie in order for others to respect them. Or puts forth an image of perfection or godliness - The life that makes great sacrifices in order to live according to certain man-made standards in order to be respected by man.
People that live this way may receive praise, they may gain followers. But the glory does not go to God.
In our human nature it seems there are those who strive to be the followed.
They become drunk with the respect they receive from others.
It's addictive and it destroys true character - and it separates us from God.
And then there those who are always looking for someone to follow.
I know I've fallen into both camps at different points along the way. (from Resolved2Worship)
To be serviceable to God is to have lowliness of heart by Glorifying God and only caring about what he thinks and nothing else. To realize that life is short! And all that really matters is not how many followers I have on my blog or in my life, but if I am following Him. It is about those silent prayers as I walk to work that are heard my no human ear, but only by Him. It is about doing what I love and working hard at it not to gain praise of others but to Glorify God in the body, and the mind that he has given me! It is about the seed that grows regardless of whether it was planted in the path, on a rocky ground, or among thorns.
When I woke up this morning I was watching CNN when they showed a story of a young homeless boy who had become Jr. Class President and was on the Honor Roll---even though he was beaten as a child and was literally living on the streets.
What I am trying to say is that turning 26 has given me a moment to stop and reflect on my life. More and more I realize that life is short. And more and more I realize what it is all about. Because in the end it is just between Me, God, and my Savior. I have to account to them and no one else. And like when my husband called to wish me happy birthday to tell me how proud he is of what I have been able to do---I hope that when I am called to face my God and my Savior again that they can be proud of what I did in this life because I glorified Them. I may never be someone famous, or known or remembered by more than those close to me, but I hope that like Helemen and his brethren that just because I am not the most intelligent/talented/or charismatic, that I can still be no less SERVICEABLE to God.
11 comments:
Happy Birthday! This reflection was beautifully written. You are a remarkable person and always so thoughtful of others. Hope your special day is grand and glorious -- and that your hubs comes home soon!
Happy Birthday! That was an amazing post and it is funny because yours is one of those blogs taht always makes me think "wow she is amazing,look at all she is doing!"... so you look at others and say that and others are looking at you saying the same thing.Kind of funny hu? We hope you guys are doing well... it has been way too long! We need to get together when you guys are back here... or even better Jeff and I should take vacation to see you hu?
Happy Birthday! What a wonderful start to your 26th year!
I agree with the second comment...you're one of those people that I always look at and think, "Wow, she has an amazing job, she is so fit, she is so stylish, she lives such a fun, exciting life, etc." But now I'd say it's even more impressive that you are so humble and so grounded in the most important things of life. Have a great birthday and thanks for sharing all your meaningful and insightful thoughts :)
Happy stinkin' birthday! I love you so much and I too am so impressed with the amazing woman friend and follower of Christ you are. Thanks for being an example to me. I always need.
HAPPY #26!!! Everytime I read your blog, I am always amazed at all the things you are doing and have accomplished. Thanks for the example and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
You made me cry!
You make me proud to be your momma.
I love you my darling 26 year old daughter!!!
Thanks Ali. That was so great and just what I needed to hear. I hope your birthday was fabulous!
Thank you so much for your kind comments. They really meant a lot to me!
Happy Birthday! You know what's funny? You literally took the thoughts out of my head and articulated it so well. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has been feeling that way. I love the thoughts you had about the Savior and that quote. I had never thought of it that way before! Thank you for your thoughts and insight. Btw, I have always looked up to you and think you are amazing! You really have done a lot of great things in your life. :)
Fabulous post Ali!!! I really feel like you took the words right out of my mouth... only you put them down on paper/blog much more eloquently than I would have! I really do enjoy reading your blog and tend to check in often. Enjoy 26 girl!! It was a good one for me:) Be sure and tell that hubby of yours hello!
Post a Comment