Here are some of the highlights from our trip to Mexico. Be prepared, lots of vacation pics are to follow...
This is one of the Cenotes in Mexico. They are basically big beautiful natural wells.

This is Lincoln Flying...

This is part of the Dzibilchaltun ruins near Merida. This building is famous because at every equinox the sun shines right through the center of the building.

This is Lincoln acting as the sun.

Another cenote, not as deep.

This was the Hostel we stayed at in Merida. Because we are students we went the cheap route. However I highly recommended it. The hammocks were my favorite.

Except for the fact that the room did not have air conditioning and I thought I was going to die from the heat and humidity the first night. However, my husband, being the thoughtful McGyver that he is, came up with the idea of hanging the other fan from the window with his belt to bring in the cool air. He did just that at about 4am, and afterwards we slept just fine. (I also learned that soaking yourself with cool water in your P.J.'s before you go to bed also helps to make the heat bearable.)

This was one amazing authentic Mexican Restaurant. They had a band and everything. And it was so authentic that it made us sick afterwards.

El Templo!

This was the Mayapan ruins. Lincoln and I were the ONLY ones at the site of the ruins, so we made sure to goof off a bit...




I think this was an old historic bathroom. Lincoln respectfully disagrees.


This was on the sacrificing platform in Uxmal



The circle like pyramid in Uxmal.

Taxis in Mexico. Just glue a cart to the front of your bike or motorcycle.

Lincoln driving our rental car. It was intense.

Climbing at the Ik Balam ruins.


The famous Chichen Itza Pyramid.

This cenote in Chichen Itza is where they would kill virgin girls and dump them in the water for a sacrifice to their God.

Go UTES! If you can see this man's hat it is a Univeristy of Utah cap. The man said he got it at a swap meet.

We were dying of heat! Lincoln is standing in front of the mayan church.





Our interpretation of the poles...




Another sacrificial platform.

This is the ball court.


This is the hotel we stayed in Chichen Itza. I loved this place, and it was only $40 a night.



Lincoln eating empanadas. They were SOOOO good.

Our Sweet rental car!
WARNING: IF you are in Mexico, be careful at the gas pumps. One of the times we filled up, they told us some bogus price for 5 gallons of gas and ended up ripping us off!!! We paid $40 instead of the $20 that it should have been. Afterwards when we figured it out, we were upset.

Our last room at a hostel in Cancun. It had air conditioning. It was heavenly.

The path to another cenote.



After staying three nights in a room without air conditioning, I was never so grateful as I was in Tulum, when our room had air conditioning!

And a sweet private bathroom with sticks holding up the sink, and wood doors that were 3 feet tall.

Getting sunburned...

This is a pic from Tulum. The 2nd best beach in the world. The sand is so fine and white it is like flour.


The ruins in Tulum are right by the ocean.




These guys were EVERYWHERE!

Beautiful Tulum.

This is the large pyramid in Coba.




On the last day we were so sunburned and tired, so we decided to go to the mall. At the mall they had a movie theater and to our happy surprise the tickets were only $3 each!!! So we saw Iron Man:

And then we saw Made of Honor. Sweet deal: 2 people. 2 movies. 12 dollars. On a big screen in English with Spanish subtitles.


On the plane home, very sunburned and excited to go back to the wonderful USA!!
17 comments:
What a beautiful vacation! I'm so jealous! John has been twice but I've never been to that part of Mexico-- I'll have to show him this post to remind him he wants to take me there!
Wow, so many pictures it's like I've been on vacation without getting out of my chair! I'm so glad to know that you're back in the USA. I've missed you.
How fun! I wish we could have traveled more before we had kids :)
Loved the pictures... loved the hotel rooms... and love that Lincoln still thinks like an engineer.
Welcome home !!
You guys look adorable.
I'm jealous as well. My husbands parents are temple presidents over in mexico and so we are hoping to get out there to visit them soon. Looks like you had a fun trip though! Its seriously so fun to read about you on your blog. Its like Im catching up on lost time :) We are living in Utah(sandy.) From what I gather you're in DC? Write me an email katbush@gmail.com
You have to love how you can't put tolleit paper in the toilet! We are glad you had a fun time, now that you are back can we please get together! I have a wedding present that is taking up way to much space in our room!
Oh my goodness, that looks so incredibly FUN!!! I'm jealous!
looks like a ton of fun!!
Ali -
the toilet paper thing - it's weird and they do it here too. It takes away (most of) the joy of a modern toilet. Your pictures are great! I'd love to visit there someday.
You inspire me to travel! We keep saying, no, not while the hubs is in law school...but we could swing hostels!! Sweet!
What an awesome trip! Good luck with the sunburns.
I'm glad you guys are back. We need to hang out! It looks like you had soo much fun. Tyson and I want to make that trip sometime. I used to live right by Mexico and totally forgot about the no toilet paper in the toilets haha...weird. I love the fun pics!
How fun, it's looks so pretty. Don't you just love those great hotel rates. They always make the trip so much better :0) I'm jealous of your tan!!!!
looks hot! I wanted to die when we were in cozumel our last day of our honeymoon... so I totally understand. But I have to admit, i'd take that over our -10 degree weather in utah any day! Looks like fun. You two are fun and silly together, Justin would never let me tkae that many pictures of him or us being goofy. Way to be Linc!
Pretty sure that it looks like you guys had an AWESOME time!
Looks like so much fun!! Nice tan!
We're jealous. Someday we'll have to go there.
-Brett and Emily
Looks like so much fun!! Nice tan!
We're jealous. Someday we'll have to go there.
-Brett and Emily
So I'm a blog stalker..don't judge me ;) Hey me and my hubs just got back from Cancun too! When were you guys there? We probably just missed each other!
Post a Comment