Monday, August 18, 2008

10 mile run.


I ran almost 10 miles this morning. The Olympics have been really inspiring for me, and I decided that I would break my own personal record, which I did today. The run was SO beautiful. I ran most of the way on Pacific Coast Highway, which runs across Huntington Beach. While the run was fantastic, I didn't feel so fantastic afterwards... Both of my knees are aching. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can prevent this next time?

10 comments:

Kristy said...

Mmmmm....don't run ten miles?

Chelsey said...

You're crazy girl! I can't believe you are running that far; that's impressive. Good to see that you guys are doing so well and having a fun summer

Ambi Mo said...

What was your personal best before that? The Olympics inspires me to sit down and watch tv more.

stephanie said...

Thats awsome ali, now you can run with me!!! I think the best way to keep from your knees aching is to take ibruprophin before you run, and ice them right afterwards, also work up to ten miles, that will get your body a little used to running that long of a time! GOOD JOB!!

Laura & Tyson said...

Haha I love that picture! Congrats on your run, that's awesome! For your knees, they have these bands that you can get for while you run. They have REALLY helped Tyson. You can find them at any running store.
I also suggest to walk up the hills and down the hills. DO NOT lengthen your stride (it is a common misconception). If your knees are hurting you need to take smaller strides! Ice them when you are finished. We do the run/walk method. Run for 3-5 minutes and then walk for a minute. This also helps the knees because you are giving your muscles a break. And - you will have the same time if you are running the whole way (another misconception).
There are a whole lot of tricks in the book "Marathon" by Jeff Galloway. We are using this for our training... sorry for such a long comment!! :0)

Neil said...

Thats awesome! I actually just ran 10 miles on Sunday.. and am still recovering. A couple of us are training for the National Capital 20 Miler. Its on Sept 28, so if you are back by then... you guys should do it!

http://www.racepacket.com/calendar/frace.php?fid=31

Hailey Smoot Kandell said...

no... i only run 4 miles on a good day... so I am whoosy!!!

Natster said...

wow- you inspire me chica!(as usual) Congrats!

Lincoln and Alisia said...

Thanks so much for your advice guys! It has really helped a lot!

Emily Hamilton said...

Way to go! I'm impressed! You could do a marathon.