Thursday, October 2, 2008

Richmond, Virginia

Since Lincoln and I had the time, we decided to visit Richmond Virginia--the old capitol of the Confederacy. This trip was very enlightening. After visiting the museums and graves, we really felt a stronger connection with the history of the Civil War.



I could not resist taking this picture: Lincoln, Lincoln, and some little boy...
We went to the Confederate museum. It was a great overview of the civil war and very interesting to see the war from the perspective of the confederates.


This picture shows a man's pants that have a whole from a gun shot wound, which was then cut further to amputate his leg. Not quite sure what Lincoln is doing here...
And of course we took advantage and saw two more presidents' graves.
This is John Tyler:
And James Monroe:
And the president of the Confederate States of America, Jefferson Davis:

This is the Virginia State Capitol Building


Lincoln and I also went to the Edger Allen Poe Museum. While we were there, some lady and a cameraman asked to interview me for Comcast on Demand. If you see me on tv, talking about the Poe museum, let me know!







And our favorite part was being able to visit friends. We stayed the night with the Trumps. Erin Webb Trump has been a good friend since Jr. High and I was so happy to spend time with her and her cute family!

I was also happy to see Chelsey Johnson Sanford (a good friend from high school and college). It was really good to catch up on the last 3 years!

12 comments:

Erica said...

You guys are always out doing such fun things!!
Your new official blog friend,
Erica

Joy said...

Just finished looking at your last entry.Your desire to take in the rich history of our nation is incredibly COOL!!! PLEASE keep it up I am enjoying every bit of it!
Its about time to watch conference again the talks have been the best ever! Ali make sure you quiz lincoln on the priesthood session it was incredible! Remember always do what is right and be happy.Love Dad

Chelsey said...

Thanks for making the effort to see us when you came down to Richmond! I loved getting the chance to catch up with you. We'll definitely have to let you know the next time we come up to DC!

Kathryn said...

you guys seem crazy, looks fun, love the new title pics on your blog.

Emily Hamilton said...

You two do some many fun things out here! Now I want to go to Richmond.
Love the pic of Lincoln and Lincoln.

Sarah said...

You guys are always doing such fun stuff! Learning about all that history would be awesome!

Kristin said...

You guys are getting some major history lessons out there! Awesome. We need to come visit...if we don't end up out there! I didn't know the Trumps were out there too! What is with Centerville people in DC?

M. said...

Well, I started typing that you two do so much cool stuff then realized everyone has already told you that! ;) so, I guess you know you are cool. I hope you watched some good southern movie, or atleast Waynes World to get you in the Confederate mood!

stephanie said...

Hey I am glad you had a fun time, I definatly need to get your list of things to see.!!

Jill said...

awh, chels! that is so fun.

your new header is rocking. love it.

modestmuse said...

You've found so many things I didn't even know were around here. Awesome!

carly said...

Ooh I love the header to your blog!!!