Saturday, January 17, 2009

Visiting Teaching and Politics



In our church we have what I would like to refer to as a support system called Visiting Teaching. When I first married Lincoln and started going to a family ward, for three months I was placed/assigned to a small group of three, consisting of me, Megan, and Ashlee. We were all married within two weeks of each other. Once a month we went out to dinner, or ice cream to share a spiritual thought, and mostly just talked about life as a newly wed. We all became fast friends, and pretty soon the group visiting teaching appointments wouldn't end until 1 or 2 in the morning. Later on we were all assigned to different Visiting Teachers, but we would still get together once a month to eat and chat. These girls have blessed my life more than I can even express. Through the big change from single to married life, it was comforting to talk to other girls that were going through the exact same thing.

However, these times will soon change because Megan is leaving to Argentina with the foreign service in two weeks. I am going to miss that girl. (And Yes, Lincoln and I plan to visit her and her hubby in August when we return to our mission). So before she left we all got together. My favorite part of our dinner and chat was when we discussed how even though Ashlee and I are Republican, we are both going to Obama's Inauguration. And while Megan is a Democrat, she got to meet Condoleezza Rice. 

I will miss secretary Rice.  With this last election, and all the spoofs on Saturday Night Live, many stated that while Hilary Clinton is smart, she is not cute. And while Sarah Palin is cute, some say she didn't have all the required smarts. But Condoleeza Rice is one woman who is both smart and cute. She is in great shape, looks amazing in an all red suit, and is very intelligent.

 It can be done. 

{Picture taken by Megan}

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I too am sad that Megan is moving to Argentina. That is tre fabe that you get to visit her though!

M. said...

I third that statement, I will miss Megan!! I'm jealous you saw her so much!!!