Saturday, February 7, 2009

You Get What You Pay For

Lincoln and I have been living in a basement apartment since we were married. We have been so happy with our STEAL of a DEAL. We pay about HALF of what others in our area are forking out (especially so close to the metro), which shows just how expensive housing is in DC. However, today was one of those days where, for a second, I thought, "I can't wait to move into a nice apartment!"  I dream of the day when we will have an apartment that's at least as big as my in-laws' master bedroom suite, and that will include all the amenities: from an OVEN, ceilings taller than 6 1/2 feet, carpet, a kitchen sink that doesn't leak, and maybe, if I am really lucky, a dishwasher.

But after tonight, I have added one more to the list---- A ceiling without a gaping hole. 

Earlier today as I was walking over to the study area, I noticed some water leaking from the ceiling. As I examined the leak, I realized that it wasn't just a tiny leak---there was a huge pocket of water waiting to explode--with only a layer of paint holding it in.  SO I yelled for Lincoln, and he came to the rescue.  He took a towel and pressed it against the ceiling as the whole thing fell down to the ground.

Then Lincoln took a knife to it and cut the hole into a more manageable shape.


At least now it is a rectangular shape... I wonder if I watch enough HGTV, if I'll learn how I can decorate around the hole to give it a modern look with great curb appeal...

14 comments:

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

oh goodness! You guys are renting though right? We rent from some people too -- so we're the only tenants. I feel your pain for things not always being right and correct -- but has Lincoln taken Property Law yet in Law School? When Adam did, it cleared up a lot of things for us -- you still have rights, your landlord is obligated to fix those things and put you up while he does it. Trust me, I know it can be awkward -- our landlords are in our ward -- but you gotta stand up for yourself!!

Kristy said...

That's so sad! Hopefully your landlord will do something about that? But if not, I have every confidence you'll be able to make it beautiful because you're Ali.

Anjuli said...

I am glad that you are safe! Our first apartment was that way! My husband is 6'4" and he had to duck in the bathroom!! One day you will look back and just loves these days

MaryAnn said...

The same thing happened to us a couple of months ago! Luckily, our landlord got someone right on it to fix it up. Hopefully yours will too.

PS - Your HGTV comment cracked me up!

Laura & Tyson said...

I'm Sure HGTV would show you some awesome ways to decorate around it to make it look like it was meant to be there! Maybe some cute modpodge paper...or you can just stick a frame around it to add some depth! Haha jk

Mike and Michelle said...

The first place we lived had mold growing on the walls I had to clean up now and again. Along with other many adventures! I feel for you!

Megan said...

I think that hole is a lovely addition to the room. It makes it feel so open and breezy!

Rachel said...

We're ALMOST there, Ali... that lawyer paycheck is just around the corner... you should almost be able to smell the oven and the dishwasher (well not literally hopefully).

Melissa said...

oh my gosh...we were meant to be friends. We're both basement-apartment-livers that refuse to pay top dollar for anything, our husbands fully support (and/or insist on) our painful frugality, and NOW, now we have matching huge rectangular holes in our ceilings. Yours from a leak, ours from our landlord having it cut open to fix the dishwasher line for the tenants upstairs. Definitely with no intentions of fixing it ever.

We were seriously going to re-sheetrock it ourselves, spackle, and paint it, but before we got to it and just a month later, there was an insane leak from one of the pipes that sent dirty brown water shooting out of our beautiful ceiling hole like public school fire sprinklers had gone off. And then we were grateful we had not become overly ambitious too soon. So the hole's still there. 4 months and counting...

Sarah said...

Oh my, a whole in the ceiling can't be good. I think the remedy for this is to come to the Hamiltons on Friday night for some fun!

M said...

Oh no! I hope your landlords will fix that soon! Sad I couldn't seen the hole, firsthand, last night.

Rachel said...

Davin found a cassette tape with The Beatles on it and it turns out that you and Parker were pretending to be radio dj's so every once in a while you break in and start singing and telling the "listeners" how much you love them and love your brother Landen. It's HILAARIOUS! Davin left it in my car and I love listening to it when I need a good laugh. Plus it has good Beatles songs on it:)

Kaylyn said...

Wow, that is really awesome (in a crappy kind of way too...) Is your landlord going to fix it? Do you need me to send Ryan over to put some duct tape over it :)

Chelsey said...

Yikes! Good thing you are renting and don't have to pay for the repairs.