Lincoln and Ali were very lucky to receive "Purple tickets" to the inauguration, but even luckier to actually get in.
No matter what political party you voted for, it was a very inspirational moment.
Who would have thought that we would have been tested on our crowd survival skills?
We can tell you one thing, in the reality TV series called "Getting to the Inauguration with the Purple Tickets" Lincoln and Ali would have been voted to stay on the island--
We've got mad skills:
1. Leave at 8 am. Get on the metro in the OPPOSITE direction that everyone is going. Get off in a couple of stops, run across the platform and barely squeeze into the overly crowed metro train. Pass all the people at the original metro stop that can't get on. ----Check
2. Get off the train, find the line for the purple section and stand there for two hours. Yep, TWO hours while slowly but surely playing mind games with the crowd and moving past individuals one by one. All while the overall crowd does not seem to be moving at all. -----Check
3. Take pictures of Mariah Carey butting in line ARRRGGH!!. Never buy a CD from Mariah Carey ever!! She's a line butter!! ---- Check.
4. When the crowd starts yelling and saying that no one is getting in, IGNORE THEM. When the cop right next to you has no idea where the entrance gate is, keep pressing forward. When people start giving up, take their place in line. -----Check.
4. When ambulances try to get through the line, walk behind them, to get yourself further in line. Just hold your breath, so as to not inhale too much exhaust. ----Check.
5. Take pictures of cool FBI hummer.-----Check.
6. Once past the dreaded purple gate, and security, don't stop there. Slide your way past the port-a-potties, crawl through bushes, think skinny and pass other people to get
the perfect view. -----Check.
7. Sit back and enjoy. ----Check.
8. Look back at the millions of people on the mall behind you. ---Check.
9. Witness first hand the swearing-in of President Barack H. Obama, the first African-American President (warning the sound quality isn't that great because the sound system on the mall was faulty, but check out the crowds at the end).
10. Take cool pictures of the men in uniform in the inaugural parade. ----Check.
11. Be happy that you were a survivor!
It was all worth it.
To understand what this is all about,
18 comments:
Way to persevere!
you guys are crazy! But oh so adventurous, good for you :)
Oh I'm so jealous!!! We thought about coming down that weekend, but Cory had class, blah blah blah. That's so stinkin' cool that you were there!! I loved the photos!
By the way, we're coming down to spend Presidents Day weekend with Em & Brett. If you guys are going to be around, we should all go out to dinner or something.
I'm so glad you guys got to go to that. We kept looking through the crowd shots on the TV hoping we might see you. We knew it was a fat chance, but hey fun all the same. You're pictures were great!! Hope you're enjoying your new job Ali.
So, so neat. I'm so glad you guys got in and got to experience history!
oh my! oh my! i admire you and your ingenuity. two of my coworkers had purple tickets as well, one got in the other didn't. :( so sad. and i think it made her feel better that mariah didn't get in either.
Wow! You are too funny! I'm glad you didn't let anyone push you around! haha. That is very cool you got to go...I'm jealous you live there!!!
You had awesome seats! That is so cool. It looks like it was an amazing day.
OK, so I sat on my butt at home and watched it on T.V. and I was more than bothered about why all of the movie/sports/music stars all had seats. Could you buy tickets? Because I swear I had to get on a waiting list to get tickets (of course, I didn't get them). And I understand why you got them. But why did celebrities get them? If it's because they are considered Obama's good friends, then I'm a little worried. And the fact that they didn't have to wait in line - well, I am just really annoyed.
K, I'm really sorry that I just went off on your blog. I have no idea what got into me.
ha ha ha ha or should I say jejejeje!
That was a worthwhile story especially since you got in!
Wow, congratulations on making it in! I don't think I could have done it!
That is awesome...what an amazing time to be living there and be a part of all the action!
Way to go!
So cool that you could attend. It looked so cold there that day, though! I don't know if I could have done it. :)
Oh Ali! You are HILARIOUS! That was an awesome adventure, but the way you presented it was even awesomer-er... love love love
I am so jealous! Not about the inauguration...but that you got to breath the same air as Mariah! LUUUUUCKY!
Only the two of you could have pulled that off! Lincoln's great navigational skills and Ali's slick ways of sliding right in there with the popular people!
How awesome is that? Love the diva comments. What a memorable moment. I'm glad you got to go!
Love the post! Tyson and I watched it on TV because I was working from home that day...because i don't have enough PTO to cover for the year. Anyways - I loved reading that! You guys are awesome.
Post a Comment