Monday, July 21, 2008

Catching Grunion Fish on the Shore.

Grunion fish are known for their very unusual mating ritual. At very high tides the females come up on sandy beaches and dig their tails into the sand to lay their eggs. A male then wraps himself around the female to deposit his sperm. For the next ten days the grunion eggs remain hidden in the sand, but at the next set of high tides the eggs hatch and the young grunion are washed out to sea. (wikipedia)

The other day, Lincoln and I went with Logan, Laura, and Landon Essig and their friends to catch some Grunion fish on the beach around midnight (during high tide). It was an interesting experience. While the ocean was beautiful, our fish catching skills were not quite as impressive. Although we definitely had a great time.

Here is everyone on the beach looking for the fish.
The beautiful nighttime ocean
Lincoln and I
Palm trees at night
Laura and her strainer that she brought to catch the fish in

The people next to us who actually caught some fish on the beach.
A Grunion Fish

1 comment:

Julie Bradshaw said...

Oh Ali! I LOVE grunion hunting. We would go every summer...there are just so many more fun things to do at night in CA. I'm so glad you're enjoying it!