Thursday, September 4, 2008

Independence Missouri, Far West, Adam-ondi-ahman, Nauvoo and Carthage

On our drive back from California to DC, Lincoln and I decided to make a few stops along the way to visit history sites from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It was definitely one advantage to the VERY long drive home.

Independence Missouri:
After stopping by the LDS visiter's center, we then took a tour of the Community of Christ's Temple.

Inside their temple

They told us that the temple is in the shape of a sea shell, symbolizing peace.

The next stop was Liberty Jail:



Far West:

Adam-Ondi-Ahman:







And then NAUVOO:

This is a map of Nauvoo, Illinois and the Mississippi river.
We took a tour by the Community of Christ of the different houses owned by Joseph and Emma Smith. They did a really great job on the tour, and it was very interesting.

This is the Navoo House. Fearing the mobs, Joseph and Hyrum Smith were first secretly buried in the basement of this house. A few years later the bodies were moved to an out building nearby. Finally, in 1928 the bodies were exhumed again and placed in their final resting place in the Smith family cemetery.
The log cabin part of this house was the first house Joseph and Emma built. (the other parts were later added on by David Smith)
This is the nicer house that was built years later, where Joseph's family livedHyrum, Joseph and Emma's grave.



The top floor of the red brick store, where the relief society was organized:
Brigham Young's House:
Heber C. Kimball's House: Lincoln is a descendant of Heber C. Kimball- First Counselor to Brigham Young.
And then the BEAutiFUL Nauvoo LDS Temple. (Lincoln was whining the whole time about how much he loves this temple and how he wished that we could have been married here instead... oh Lincoln...)




The Hotel where we stayed. We really liked it.
Mississippi River:

This is a memorial with the names of all the pioneers who died on the trek out west to Utah. It was really overwhelming to see the thousands of names on the wall. I was humbled and very grateful for their faith and sacrifices.


Carthage Jail:
It was such a neat and humble experience to see the place where Joseph and Hyrum Smith were martyred.











It was a really great trip. I am so greatful for the greater understanding of the history of my religion that came through this experience. Their legacy of faith is truly inspiring.

6 comments:

Hailey Smoot Kandell said...

Ahh, I have done that driving tour before... with 6 kids in the back of the suburban... my dad was our tour guide. Wonderful memories but a LONG drive.

Kaylyn said...

I love all those sites, especially Nauvoo. I am glad you guys got to stop on this leg of your trip and didn't have to drive straight through like on the way west! Welcome back to DC!!!

Sarah said...

That's so cool that you stopped at all those sights on your way back!! (Having done the drive from Utah to New York, I know how long it is!!) If you get the itch to come to upstate New York and see Palmyra and all the church history up here, let me know. You guys would be welcome to crash on our futon :)

Kristy said...

Oh, what a great trip! Though I'm sad you didn't stop in Denver. Boo!

And on a snottier note, I too hope to visit Carthrige, Carthige, and also Carthage Jail. :)

Brooke S. said...

I'm so inspired by your "Go, See, Do" attitude - it took me all these years and trip across the world to finally get it. At one point in Jordan I went "I have lived in Utah my whole life and haven't seen sqat, not to mention the rest of America." There is something to the carrying the attitude of tourism into your daily life. Way to be.

I have great plans for mini trips this fall..you know when I get a job and we can pay rent and buy groceries instead of shopping out of my Mom's fridge...

Unknown said...

Oh! Nauvoo! It holds such a special place in my heart...(once did a semester at BYU Nauvoo-best experience EVER) Miss you and love all the pics!